Monday, May 10, 2010

Tortilla Casserole

This recipe is from "Fix-It and Forget-It 5 Ingredient Favorites"
4 flour tortillas
1lb ground beef
1 envelope dry taco seasoning
16oz can refried beans
1.5cups shredded cheese
3-4tbs sour cream (optional)

Spray the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick spray. Tear 3 of the tortillas into pieces and line the bottom and sides of the slow cooker.
Brown ground beef, drain and return to skillet. Mix in taco seasoning (I added about 1/4 cup of water so it wouldn't be so dry).
Layer refried beans, meat, 1 cup of cheese and sour cream (I didn't add the sour cream but I will next time) over tortilla pieces.
Place remaining tortilla pieces on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours (mine was done in 3 hours).

We put sour cream on top of each serving when it was done. Everybody in my house liked it, I found it a little dry. I recommend serving this with your usual taco toppings (tomato, lettuce, maybe some salsa or guacamole).

This was super cheap to make. I already had the ground beef.
$0.50 taco seasoning
$0.40 tortillas (10 packs were on sale for $1 at my grocery store this week)
$0.50 sour cream (we used close to half of the container that I got on sale for $1)
$1.35 refried beans
$1.00 shredded cheese (on sale for $2, I had a $1 coupon)
So, I spent $3.75 on this meal. It fed 4 of us for dinner and had enough leftover for DF to take to work for lunch tomorrow.


Tomorrow I am going to be making Pork Chops and Rice, a recipe from the same cookbook.

1 comment: